That’s always a hot topic, but contrary to popular belief, gasoline is one of the most competitively and transparently priced consumer products.
Some provinces regulate the price of gas to prevent below-cost selling, to protect their dealer margins and to ensure retail price stability.
This is called a regulated market. Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Quebec all have some form of price regulation.
However, many studies and reviews have shown that an open unregulated marketplace is the best way to ensure competitive pricing. Regulated price stability is usually achieved at the expense of higher prices at the pump.
You can learn more about regulated markets in your province:
Canadians are among the highest per capita consumers of transportation fuels in the world, second only to the United States.
Gasoline and diesel provide more energy value by volume than any other fuel.
Essential transportation fuels typically account for 75 percent of Canadian refinery output. The remaining 25 percent is comprised of home heating oil, lubricants, heavy fuel oil, asphalt and feedstocks for the petrochemical industry.
Gasoline and diesel are by far the most widely used transportation fuels in Canada.
Each year Canadians consume about 105 billion litres of gasoline, diesel, aviation fuels, heating oil and other refined products.
The Canadian Fuels Association represents the industry that produces, distributes and markets petroleum products in Canada – including 95 percent of the transportation fuels Canadians rely on to remain mobile and globally competitive.